Friday, October 18, 2013

Old Fashion Apple Sauce


The other day I made apple sauce. It's so simple. Plus homemade apple sauce is so much better than the stuff you can buy in the store.

I used the recipe that my mother and father always used. Growing up in my house, my dad actually made better apple sauce than my mother. Sorry Mom! I think it was the brown sugar and cinnamon he added.

Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
8 apples, cored and quartered
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar packed (you can also use white sugar if you prefer)
cinnamon
apple pie spice

Directions:
In a saucepan, simmer apples with the water, covered for 15-20 minutes (or until fork-tender). Be sure to stir occasionally so the apples won't get scorched. Use a potato masher to mash up the apples to the consistency you like. Stir in the sugar until dissolved. Add cinnamon and/or apple pie spice to taste.

I've read that you can substitute the water for apple juice and add lemon juice to perk up the flavor. This past time I tried adding a little bit of lemon juice for the first time since the apples were a little older.

Apples peeled and cored ready to simmer in water

Apples mashed after simmering for 20 minutes

The finished product cooling


1 comment:

  1. I love applesauce. I did basically what you did with minor changes. No sugar, juice of one orange, and no peeling. When they were done I processed them in the food processor. This chips the peel so it's not slimy, really not noticeable. And the apple sauce turns a pretty pink!

    ReplyDelete