Monday, October 14, 2013

Apple Crisp and Apple Picking

The closest apple orchard to me is an hour away. There are tons of them, and depending on which direction, they could be between 30 and 50 miles. Getting up early on Saturday and beating the traffic and orchard crowds was my best bet so I was on the road at 7:30. After getting some cider donuts at Bolton Spring Farm I went down the street to Nicewicz farm, where I picked a peck of Macoun and Fuji apples. This farm is really low key, not like the big orchards with big gift shops and hay rides and animals. Don't get me wrong, those are good in their own way, but this place felt peaceful. I talked to Ken, one of the owners, and also the woman who worked in the little farm stand. She gave me a tip on cooking delicata squash, which  I'll post later this week after I cook it.

One of the apple trees was just laden with fruit.


With about 9 Macouns I made Martha Stewart's apple crisp that Julie made last week. It's quite tasty. I ended up overcooking it, because I winged it on the number of apples, and it took longer for them to get soft. I waited too long to check them again, so the apples are almost like sauce. The flavor is good though. Next time will be better.





1 comment: