Sunday, January 19, 2014

Warm Winter Breakfast

Yesterday we got more snow than we expected. Although it was beautiful when it was coming down, I have to say I'm so ready for spring. In fact as I write this post this morning.... I looked outside and it's snowing again! OMG!

This was the lane to my drive way on my way home from the grocery store yesterday.
Anyway, last night I decided I wanted a nice warm comforting breakfast this morning when I woke up. I kept seeing this recipe for slow cooker oatmeal popup on Facebook, Pinterest, and Melissa's blog post. So I decided to give it a try. I made Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal from YummyLife.com.

It was very simple to put together. I didn't have steel-cut oatmeal, but after reading some other slow cooker recipes online I found you can use old fashioned oats as well, which is what I had. The only other thing I did a little differently was that I didn't peel the apples. I figured I would keep the extra fiber in the oatmeal.

Well, this morning I woke up to check it out. It did make the kitchen smell nice so early in the morning.

This is what it looked like when I opened the slow cooker.

This is a small portion I tried. I added some chopped pecans on top.
The consistency was very mushy. Maybe that was due to the fact that I used old fashioned oats rather than steel-cut oats. Not sure. It was a little bland for my taste. I added some extra cinnamon which did make it taste better.

Not sure this is my favorite recipe, but we'll see how it is as the week goes on. I have plenty for the next few days and I'm going to freeze some as well. I will say it was great not to have to put any effort into making breakfast this morning! :)

If you try it let me know what you think. Also, any additional tips you might use.

In case you need a little more info on flaxseed (like I did) check out this article on WebMD.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed

3 comments:

  1. It looks good to me, But I like my oatmeal on the unsweetened side. I think adding more cinnamon was a good call. I've ended up doubling spices in a lot of crock pot recipes because the long cooking time seems to make the flavors less strong. If you use the steel cut oats next time it will be more firm; I used them for this once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This DID inspire me to make oatmeal with flax seed and a Granny Smith apple for breakfast today, on the stovetop. Tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding a granny smith apple sounds like a good idea. More flavor probably. :)

    You're probably right about the spices for the oatmeal in the slow cooker. There weren't many in this and cinnamon is usually pretty strong. I'll keep that in mind next time....

    ReplyDelete